Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Life.

I was brought to tears and experienced a sweet time of worship on Friday afternoon. It all was spurred from watching one of baby tv shows.. the ones where they follow the expectant parents from 3 weeks prior to right after the birth of the child. Yeah, I know that sounds weird... but God seriously works in ways I don't understand.

I watched two episodes... both showed mothers who were experiencing "High Risk" pregnancies. One mother was giving birth to triplets. I watched as a team of doctors had to act quickly to bring each little life into the world and rush them into the NICU for treatment. The second mother had gone through two miscarriages before her current pregnancy and was being watched weekly by her doctors. There was so much anticipation and great fear in both of these women.

I started to think about how high of a risk my mom's pregnancy was with me. She was living with a disease called Lupus which is auto-immune and wrecks havoc on the body... also making pregnancy extremely complicated. I don't know many details, but I do know that my mother was in and out of the hospital quite frequently treating her disease and making sure that the both of us were doing well. In the end, I was born around 6 weeks early, weighing in at 2lbs 11oz. I was 16 inches long and spent my first few weeks on this earth in an incubator. Eventually, my mother lost her battle with Lupus when I was just over 2 years old... she was 32.

This is when God brought to mind how He has had His hand on me since conception. This disease could have prevented my life. But God saw fit to let me live. He spared my life...twice. He sent His Son as my sacrifice and He brought me into this world. I wept at this thought and rejoiced for being alive. So many days of my life have been wasted and taken for granted. I've even cursed God for the days when things haven't gone according to my will. Life is precious, and mine almost didn't exist.

I've resolved to be thankful for each day.

No comments: